Hear remarks offered at the Oviedo-Winter Springs Regional Chamber of Commerce members’ luncheon on the subject of bullying in the public school environment. Subject matter experts Seminole County public schools’ W. Gene Grace, Director of School Safety and Student Alternative Placement; Laurie Bailey, Community Service Officer in the Crime Prevention Unit of the Seminole County Sheriff’s office, and Dr. Stacy M. Van Horn, a faculty member in the College of Education’s department of Child, Family and Community Services of the University of Central Florida. Miss Florida 2010, Jaclyn Raulerson, is a special guest speaker reflecting on her experience as a victim of childhood bullying. Feature Length — 33:07
After introductions, the subject of bullying is addressed for 23-minutes which include Miss Florida speaking for the first 4-minutes, followed by 15-minutes of panel discussion from the three subject matter experts and 4-minutes of answers to audience questions.
This presentation — which begins with the introduction of Miss Florida by the immediate past president of the Chamber, Cynthia Sucher, associate vice president for community relations at the University of Central Florida — was recorded Thursday, March 17, 2011 at the monthly membership luncheon of the chamber of commerce attended by more than 70 chamber members and guests at the Tuscawilla Country Club in Winter Springs, Florida.
The event concludes with a 2-minute recognition of the Chamber’s student of the month — Tommy McThenia, a 12th grader at Trinity Preparatory School.
The panel is moderated by the chamber’s vice president for education, Mark Sardo. Tammy Potosky leads the recognition of the student of the month. Chamber executive director, Cory Skeates, presides.
Miss Florida 2010
W. Gene Grace
Director of School Safety and Student Alternative Placement, Seminole County Public Schools
Community Service Officer, Crime Prevention Unit, Seminole County Sheriff’s office
Dr. Stacy M. Van Horn
College of Education, department of Child, Family and Community Services, University of Central Florida.
panel moderator and chamber vice president for education
Executive Director, Oviedo Winter Springs Regional Chamber of Commerce
immediate past president of the chamber and associate vice president for community relations at the University of Central Florida
Student of the Month Presentation
presenter, chamber “student of the month.”
12th grade, Trinity Preparatory School, Winter Park
Trinity Preparatory School
Additional Content Related Links
- Child Safety Initiatives (Seminole County Sheriff’s Department)
- Crimes Against Children (Seminole County Sheriff’s Department)
- Student Conduct and Discipline Code ( Seminole County Public Schools)
- U. S. Government’s Stop Bullying Now
Additional Event Pictures
After you launch the slideshow below, click “Next” and “Previous” to rotate through the photos.
Chamber programs on the Heard in Central Florida web site:
Now in its second year, this presentation marks the 11th podcast Carroll McKenney Public Media has produced featuring luncheon programs staged by the chamber which address a range of important issues relevant to the business community and the general population in the Oviedo and Winter Springs communities served by the chamber.
- 2010 State of the Cities (2/2/11)
- State of Law Enforcement in Seminole County (11/29/10)
- Oviedo City Council Seat 4 Candidate Forum (10/14/2010)
- Business Incubation in Central Florida (9/27/2010)
- Summary by 3 local legislators on the results of the 2010 session of the Florida Legislature (6/30/2010)
- Broadband technology and it’s potential for the community (6/01/2010)
- Donnie Jones, new head coach of the University of Central Florida Men’s basketball team (4/22/2010)
- State constitutional amendments (4/01/2010)
- High-tech innovation along the 417 Corridor (2/24/2010)
- Oviedo and Winter Springs mayor’s “state of the cities” address (1/27/2010)